Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Trees 101 - (completed)

With the table project starting, I will need to get a jump on making trees. Yes, I'm going to make a complete forest for this table and here is how I'm going to do it.
144 cheap plastic paint brushes - $5.00
100 chipboard 1 inch cirles - $5.00
1 piece Furnace filter - $5.00

Cut the tapered ends of the paint brush to the desired hieght(s) and mount it to a chipboard circle. I used crazy glue gel. *I have learned NOT to do this, use a hot glue gun to attach these. It provides a much more secure bond*

Coat the base of the tree and the tree itself with brown caulk and then spray paint about 1 1/2 inches of the handle brown from the base. *I also learned that I will need to weight down the trees. I will be adding a washer to the bottom of the chipboard circles*

While those are drying, start pulling pieces of the furnace filter apart. Seperate it to a wispy, thin material about the size that you need for the branches. Once the trees are dry, start layering the filter small-big-small-big-etc-etc, leaving a gap between them. I only glued the tops of the tree down.

Spray paint the blue filter black and then give a light coating of brown over the top. Make sure to where gloves when doing this otherwise you will end up with paint all over your hands.
While these are drying, I'm going start making some flock for these. Yes, I make my own flock for trees and I'll even show you how do that next! And you don't have to use your own flock. You can use any that you desire, I just like using my own for this purpose.


Shape the trees with a pair of scissors. Try and get it into the shape that you desire and also removing any stray branches that do not look correct.

Coat the tree with a spray adhesive and add the flock from the top. Once this is done, set the tree aside and let it dry. I finished up 4 of the 5 last night and here is how they look once it's all said and done.
Terrain up the base after this is dry and it's all done. Coat everything with a good matt sealer. That will help keep the flock on the trees as well.

No comments: