Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Project #2, Tile 1

So it has begun. With the roads now dry, I can now start on detailing each tile. I figure I might as well start with the hardest one first.

I want this to be nice and green and have a static grass feel to it. So, I'll be using Heki grass mats for this. I love these mats and if you haven't have the opportunity to see one, let me tell you about them. They come in a variety of colors and sizes. Unlike Woodland Scenics mats, these are not plastic backed. They are paper backed so it makes cutting a breeze! I'll be using the medium green for this project.


I'm going to line the roads and edges with Alenes Tacky Glue first. That will make sure that I have a good bond around the edges. On the inside, I will use a spray adhesive. But before I do that, I cut the mat to the size that I need and "block" an area out and I'm NOT going to use this for the rounded edges. I'll do those with my grassinator as these areas will need to be the toughest part of the tile.

When I blocked out an area, I had to go back in after the glue had started to set and trim up the road and edges. Remember, I didn't put glue on the roads themselves. Make sure to trim up the roads leaving the tiles to 1 3/4 of an inch. Yes, it's smaller than the roads, but once the glue dries on these (overnight with some weight on it), I'll make the roads. You'll notice that I did over cut some areas on the grass. I did that intentionally so the roads won't be uniform and look natural. But for now, I have to let these dry overnight and I'll start on the roads in the morning.

Now that this has been glued firmly to the foam, it's time to clean up the road. For this, I will be using a thin layer of brown caulk. I spread it with my finger to cover up all the road surfaces. I let that start to dry and scattered some ballast over it lighltly. Once the caulk looses it's shiny color, it will be dry and I can start painting it.

Now that this is dry, I'll put a wash of dark brown over the top of caulk. Again, it's hurry up and wait time as it dries. The good thing about doing this on the dining room table is there is a ceiling fan. Speeds drying time!




No comments: