Monday, December 8, 2008

Project #2, Wolfkrieg Table

Once again, I'll be making a table for WolfKrieg. With any project that you do, you want it to be better but yet different from anything that you've ever done before and this time is going to be no different.
When I've done this in the past, the tables I made were a pain to transport. This time, I'm going for something light weight and easy to transport. I want to be able to transport this easily without having to have other folks help me carry it in. I've got an idea to do this and it should work. But let's come up with a map first.
This is the table that I'm going to be making.

If you look in the upper left hand corner, you will notice that this is no more than a scan of a map from the game "Cross of Iron" from the classic ASL gaming system. I've added a grid system to it to help me get a feel for this as I go along. The thick heavy black lines divide the table into 2 foot square blocks. The thinner lines break them down into smaller grids of 1 foot square and 6 inch square respectively.

After I made the grid system, I had to modify the map itself as I want this to be a modular system. I'm NOT going to make this a one off table. I've done that in the past and they (the tables) are great for that one game, but can become quite boring after a while. This will be something that I can add on to later if I want.

Why 2 foot square you ask? That's easy. I will be using the 2 foot square interlocking foam mats like these

I get these off of Ebay from http://stores.ebay.com/kenmissyr . You can find these just about anywhere, but I want to make sure that I can always get these if I want to add on to it. Ken and Missy have always offered this product for years now and offer great service. I highly recommend them. I order these on 12/7 so I should have them by mid week. That's how quickly these folks ship. So, when I have these, we'll get to work! Now, back to making trenches.

No comments: