Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Project #2, So it begins...

The foam floor mats arrived today while I was at the dentist (A 3 day turn around time from buying it to it being delivered, I told you these folks were quick!) . I came home and immediately opened the package and layed it all out. As you can see, I am not using the "bumpy" side. I'm using the BACKS of the tiles to do this.


The overall measurements for this table will be slightly larger and 4 ft by 6 ft because of the edge trim that goes around it. But that's okay as the table this will be on will be larger than 4 ft by 6 ft. So that's okay.


Now it's time to lay out the roads. I want the roads to be approx 2 inches wide. I used a 2 inch piece of balsa and put a mark at the 1 inch halfway point to get me started. I measured in to mark the roads using a black marker. I made sure to mark on the over lapping tile as well to make the roads leading into it. Once I made all entry points for each tile, I checked to make sure that they matched up with one another to make this truly modular. They all matched up so it's on to the next step.




With the entry points for each tile marked, it was time to mark the actual roads on each tile. This will be a starting point for the roads. Please don't think that this is going to be the actual roads. I need a starting point so I can color between the lines. To do this, I used a 2 inch foam brush and some cheap brown acrylic paint.




Now it's time to let this dry properly. Pull the tiles apart at this point to make sure that the paint does stick them together. When the paint it dry, I'll start working on each individual tile. The good part about doing each individual tile is that I don't need the entire dining room table.

From here on out, I will work on each individual tile. It will be labelled Project #2, tile #?.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking good.

Maybe you should paint all the joint areas before seperating?

Tom

The Terrain Czar said...

I actually painted these individually. I just put it together for this photo for an overall look and feel for everyone else's benefit. And I wanted to make sure that if anyone else follows this example, they don't make this mistake.